Tuesday 2 February 2010

LA TIMES Exclusive: KEISHA JACKSON ELLIS-TAYLOR BREAKS THE SILENCE

Note from the author: What I love so much about creativity is that there are no limitations. And with me and my dreamy state of mind it makes for the perfect couple. So instead of just taking a real life situation and giving it to you black and white, I am going to present it to you in colour, and paint pretty pictures and just, well, let my creative vision flow.
NEWS EXCLUSIVE
KEISHA SPEAKS OUT

“TEN YEARS OF B.S, NOW I WALK FREE”


A small group from LA Times have flown in to London, England to get the world exclusive from Keisha Jackson Ellis-Taylor on the breakdown of a friendship and life. They flew in this morning and are now heading to South Kensington. Keisha at aged twenty one lives with her girlfriend Tinkerbell twenty three. Since we last saw her she finally published her first book titled “You are not alone” which became a number one best seller in four different countries. Keisha just finished her tour of America and is now back at home working on her second book. Her partner is CEO of the official and largest Michael Jackson store which is based in LA. Since its opening in two thousand and five, it has gone on to make debuts in countries over the globe, a total of one hundred and fifty stores worldwide. After touching down in Heathrow airport a carrier awaited the crew and within an hour they arrived at The Jackson Ellis-Taylor household after ten am. Located in south Kensington their home a six bed, two reception, large kitchen diner with the most amazing view from their master bedroom.

They pull up and within minutes the gates open up for them to drive through. They parked just outside the front door. And there with baby Coco Puff in her arms is Keisha with shoulder length curls, wearing a tank top with combat shorts and slippers, the baby dressed the same. After introductions and a tour of the home, they all went into the backyard. The crew set up and the interview began.

[Continued ...]

Rp1: We will get to the other topics but one big topic is the fallout between you and a friend of ten years, what happened?
Keisha: Shamiya and I had been friends for close to ten years. It was through a mutual love for Michael where we came together. And how you say the rest is history.

Rp1: In an interview with her she said you two had also went to the same primary and secondary school?
Keisha: Yes that is correct we did go to the same schools but our paths never crossed until secondary school. And from there it just grew day by day.

Rp1: Explain the school days, what was it like?
Keisha: Honestly some of the best days of my life. Like it was literally me, Shamiya and Michael [laughs] everyone knew she and I as the Michael fanatics, but more so her because she would dress like him, act like him, sing and dance. I was more so on the quieter side. We had a few lessons together. I.T. was one of them. You can bet every lesson it was all things Michael Jackson.


Rp1: So this relationship between you and her was really special?
Keisha: It was. I had some amazing times. She and I went to events, launch parties here and there. I remember we would be there day in and day out dreaming, fantasizing about the day we would both meet him, and through time get to know him and eventually live with him hehe. It was a fantasy world we was truly living in but meeting Michael, becoming friends and then living with him didn’t seem to impossible you know.


Rp1: Is it true that your parents bit their tongue every time she came around?
Keisha: [laughs] yes. And to be honest after a certain amount of time I did too. My parents especially my father had a strong dislike towards her. Always calling her “crazy friend or long belly friend” [giggles]

Rp1: Long belly?
Keisha: So let me explain that. Whenever she would come to my house, ten times out of ten within the first five minutes she would always ball that she hungry. And at first I didn’t mind getting her food, but when she came over a lot and was always asking for food it got a little annoying. She could no longer help herself. I had to go down and get food for her. My parent’s were not best pleased always telling me off for her always coming to my house with an empty stomach. My dad would always say “She just come from home! Rass, always come to my yard hungry. So what she nahr eat when she dey home?”

Rp1: When you would go to hers, were you the same?
Keisha: Hell no! You honestly think I could go to a friend’s yard twenty four seven and eat them out of fridge and freezer? And besides if I am to be honest. She hardly offered me food. And I never asked her, I don’t know why. Probably because I saw how she was round mine didn’t want her mum to get the same impression. I was always amazed at how she would come to mine, and ask for food left, right and centre. Yet I go to hers and one, I didn’t ask, but two she hardly offered. The most she would ask to get me is a drink. And what made it worst is that she would have me sitting there and she would come in with her own food yam in front of me whilst I there hungry. I soon realized that I would have to come with a full belly when I go to hers hehe.


Rp1: Wow. I couldn’t imagine having a friend over and just not offering them anything. Are you serious?
Keisha: I am being very serious. I mean I can count on one hand, maybe two doubt it though, the amount of times she has offered me food whilst at her house. For me now, well I lost count [laughs]

Rp1: Tell us what your dad would sometimes do when she was over?
Keisha: Oh man! Ok so I had my own computer in my bedroom, and whenever she would come round she would literally sit on my computer until gone midnight most of the time. And my dad would get so peed off he would lock off the net. And I remember the first time he did it, I went to him and was like “dad the net is off” He looked at me and smiled, his words “I know, I lock it off” I couldn’t help but laugh at what he did; I mean was it really that bad then? Ha-ha it was crazy because I had to tell her a little lie, the internet has gone down. I mean it’s like my boy MJ who had twist the truth a little about how he didn’t like touring but they wanted him to make it positive. So this is my Michael moment. [Looks to the camera] The internet had gone down, but you know the truth [smiles]

Rp1: So from the sound of it and speaking to a few others they had their reservations about her long before. What was the difference now?
Keisha: A lot of people had their reservations about her. In particular one of my best friend Leahana, before Shamiya and I became friends she was friends with her. One time she slept over Leahana’s house and after the way she carried on; eat her out of home Leahana just went her separate way with her. Through school she was trying to tell me of her ways but I just dismissed them.

It all started to change after June. And it was like, I don’t know about her, but for me I felt the relationship change because suddenly what was the focal point between us being Michael, it no longer was. So the phone calls cut down, or the amount of time we spent on the phone shortened. We weren’t around one another’s house as much. And I was beginning to see that take away MJ and we didn’t really have much more in common. Through the last seven months we’ve been attending vigils and we have both met some amazing people who I consider an extension to my family now.

One person in particular her name is Tinkerbell. She saw me at an event; a few days later she added me on Facebook and then from there we began to talk and talk and talk. It was so easy to talk to her and we jut became best friends and then eventually girlfriends. I think after a month I introduced her to Shamiya and they hit it off. Just like Tinkerbell and I, she and Shamiya connected and it soon became a close knit group of people because through more connections we befriended this girl called Michelle, and Tinkerbell’s sister Sherry.

Rp1: Speaking of Michelle. She and Shamiya were really close. You always saw them at events and then something happened and the friendship was tarnished.
Keisha: Yeah they were so close, they became inseparable at times. It was our very own Janet and Michael. We were at Tinkerbell’s mum’s house and Michelle made the announcement that Sky1 are planning to do a show where they will try and get in contact with MJ’s spirit. Long story short she said we will each receive a phone call over the next week or so. In the end it was only Michelle who went onto do it with others. I remember it was me, Tinkerbell and Shamiya at Jenny’s [Tinkerbell’s mum] house and we watched it. And afterwards it was like we were in a state of two minds. We felt that the questions asked wasn’t enough and we got frustrated talking about if we was on there, blah, blah. And it wasn’t until Michelle told us there were a few legal issues and that they couldn’t ask certain questions. So anyway that was done, and of course we sent love and support to Michelle whether it was the same day, or a day or two after.

We was all at Tinkerbell’s flat on a high of MJ love, and madness when I received a message from Michelle I can’t remember if it was by phone or mail. I think it was by mail, and it threw us off completely. Because Michelle was bad mouthing Shamiya, and we couldn’t for the life of us figure out why. Now Michelle has a mouth on her, just like with those gay men. Piss them off and they will tear you up, well Michelle let loose calling her a Bitch, ignorant, selfish and was just really being horrible towards her. When we called her up she explained it was because all her other friends wrote to her, or called showing support but what does she go and do, rant about if I was there, or bad mouth the show and stuff. You are probably confused, but it was when either Michelle called us earlier Saturday morning, or it was us who called her. She and Shamiya spoke for ages and I guess as the day wore on Michelle didn’t like the way she spoke.

Rp1: And then what happened?
Keisha: Tinkerbell and I were very confused and couldn’t believe that she would say all these things about her. We had to console her because she was an emotional wreck. I don’t think she slept. Next morning I think we all went round to Jenny’s house and explained what happened. Blah, blah, it must have taken a week for us to persuade Shamiya to contact Michelle. No matter how much we talked to Michelle she was set in her ways. Wow! if I could only tell you how deep she got, she literally rinsed Shamiya out. So finally she called her on her own time and they both sorted it out. But I don’t think it was ever the same again.

Rp1: Would you say the way she is today, is partly your fault?
Keisha: Yes, because I made her head even bigger than it is and her ego too. She would always say she is my Michael and I am her Liz Taylor, or that if she went from my life that would be the end, I wouldn’t survive. I need her in my life. She not only said it to me throughout the years but others too. And I guess like a fool, or shall we say puppet. It’s one of those things you hear something over and over and over and over you believe it.

Rp1: What happened between Tinkerbell’s family and her?
Keisha: So throughout these last six months it has been very difficult, and Tinkerbell’s mum Jenny, along with the rest of the family have been very supportive towards Shamiya and I. It was literally that we became apart of the family and like a mother would do, feed us, buy things for us, etc. And so it was around Christmas time and Shamiya was all talk about how she got a job which is paying her a lot of money and that she had all these presents she was going to buy for us. Now for me I was on JSA and couldn’t afford much but the main priority was making sure I got a present for my mum, my boys and Jenny. It came to Christmas I went over to Jenny’s house and was showered with all these wonderful gifts. Of course I showed my appreciation I thanked everyone who brought me gifts, etc.

That was that, a week later I received a message from Tinkerbell telling me how her mum is upset with how Shamiya is behaving. And not just the mother, all of them including Tinkerbell. This was a great shock to me, because I thought everything was fine.

Rp1: So what was everyone upset about?
Keisha: The same thing my parent’s complained about. Coming over and not leaving at appropriate times. She was eating a lot of their food whenever she would stay. I heard that she would ask Jenny to make her cups of tea as if Jenny is her servant or something. She talked about having a job and buying everyone presents but come the day she came empty handed, and still to this day she hasn’t given them anything. I mean I understand you can vocally express love to people, but sometimes you can show your love and appreciation in the form of gifts too. I just think it’s out of order for her to not even buy Jenny, TJ (Tinkerbell’s brother) and Tinkerbell a present after they brought her things and was there for her the most during these months.

Not only was she doing that but she was also taking the piss when she would ask Jenny who lives all the way in Kensington to come and pick her up from Lewisham. At first she got on the trains just like I, and went up to Jenny’s. Then all of a sudden just because she got a job now her ass is to royal for public transport. She starts to ask Tinkerbell’s mum if she could come pick her up and drop her back home. And it wasn’t like they lived near one another and it wasn’t like she was offering money for petrol neither. After a while she gets to cosy and suddenly expects this, expects that from people.

Rp1: OMG, not even petrol money and that is quite a journey to and from.
Keisha: Exactly. And so because I was her friend I thought I would write her a letter explaining her actions and how it upset everyone. Now this is where her ignorance came in. Instead of acknowledging and really reading the letter, she goes off on one and is like “oh no one loves me no more; I’m heartbroken,” blah, blah. And the thing is she would was still ignorant to what we were all trying to tell her. She was apologizing and when I asked her to explain why she was, she couldn’t give me a straight answer. And then it was like she was saying I’ve forgiven them. [Stares] For what? I thought it was suppose to be the other way round. And no matter how many times we tried to tell her, she just wasn’t getting it.

Rp1: What happened in the end?
Keisha: Well I tried to defuse the situation which was really starting to escalate. Tried to resolve this online a couple times but it just got nowhere. In fact it seemed to have made the situation worse.

Rp1: So with all this going on, there was more fire added with the ticket, lottery ticket?
Keisha: Yes. Ok so we were all round Jenny’s house when she told us someone brought her a ticket and she won a million pound. Of course at the time we didn’t have any reason not to believe her. We was all excited and thought that finally some of our dreams which she, Tinkerbell and I had dreamed of would finally come true. Here the story now. So she spoke to Jenny and from that she decided to not spend the million, put it in the bank and let it grow. When I spoke to Jenny she said that she told Shamiya that she should not be careless with it and just spend it all in go.

Rp1: I’m not quite getting it grow, and then do what?
Keisha: Buy Neverland

Rp1: Buy Neverland? What, is she serious? That million would probably be the amount just to run it on a yearly basis.
Keisha: She told Jenny and Tinkerbell that she is going to let it grow, so she can buy Neverland which costs seventeen million.

Rp1: [laughs] Ok first off she is kidding herself. Back in the 80’s Michael purchased it for seventeen million. She is delusional if she thinks with all the work he done that it will just cost seventeen mills. She would probably have to save until she is fifty or beyond to even come remotely close to buying his home.
Keisha: Exactly. And I am sure people would say it’s her money and if you look at it probably so. But Tinkerbell and I believe that through our constant prayers to Michael, and the lord that they answered our prayer through her. Now all of a sudden the ‘dream’ has changed. Its true money can be a bad thing and change people.

Rp1: And then what happened?
Keisha: Well this all happened round about the time I had went away for a few months to clear my mind and regain focus after what happened last summer and of course at the time a little of relationship tension, but during that time it seemed no matter what I said to Shamiya it wasn’t getting through. I guess because I only knew how to talk to her in fairytale lingo I would always sugar coat the truth. And so it went on and on, me and Tinkerbell trying to tell her that she can still save, but not at the expense of sitting on money and watching your family and friends struggle. She said a million isn’t enough. Laugh out loud, a million is more than having - £170 pound in your bank account which is what for the best part of a year it always read. I was also dipping into my overdraft, and Tinkerbell was always forking out money too.

I go round to my girlfriend’s house a lot. And between us though we don’t have much we usually split the cost. She will get the electricity and gas I’ll get the shopping, vice versa but we always provide for another. When ever Shamiya has come over she has not once contributed towards anything. And that use to piss me off. She would talk about having a little bit of money here and there yet she was still expecting US to pay for her.

Rp1: When did you finally decide, this is it?
Keisha: When I finally stopped believing in her web of lies. First I forgot to mention another disgusting act she has committed. Back in March when Michael announced the tour dates, ticket went on sale the following week. Now I remember the moment they told us how to get pre sale tickets my ass texted a few people telling them to sign up and I did the same. Shamiya didn’t even bother too. Her reply was “You’re doing it, so it’s cool” And I remember that day was frantic, I almost died. Long story short I panicked and lost all control and couldn’t get tickets. My sister called me up and saved the day telling me she got four tickets. I was doing a three way with my sister one line, Shamiya the other. We both cried hysterically a dream was about to come true. Later my mum was screwing because she and my aunty had wanted to go, and so they all thought that if she wanted tickets that badly why did she not sign up for the pre sale like the rest of us.


I didn’t think of that at the time but looking back now it’s true. Just like I signed up and told others she should have done the same. Anyway sorry I am going off on tangents. When there is ten years of recollection trust me you will hehe, but anyway so there was this girl called Mandy and Shamiya must have told her she can get her tickets front row for just two hundred pound. So Mandy sent her a cheque, then obviously with June happening I thought Shamiya had devised a plan with Mandy to give the money back

Rp1: What happened next?
Keisha: All now the girl is waiting for her money back. Mandy contacted my girlfriend who was in two minds about what to do, so she called me. I was totally shocked when I heard this, so I confronted Shamiya. She got pissed off with Mandy and Tinkerbell, but she had no right to because Mandy for the past several months had been trying to come up with a plan for her to give the money back and she kept coming up with excuse after excuse. It has gotten to the point now where I thought fcuk it, so I gave Mandy Shamiya’s home address and phone number to take this even further. We all tried to get through to Shamiya and to be honest if she has money I do not know why she is continuing to stall.

Rp1: Wow, when you hear this entirely one question how did you honestly think she was ever like Michael?
Keisha: I do not know to be honest. I guess when she would do some things it reminded me a lot of Michael, how she would act in situations. But then my girlfriend put it greatly she thinks that Shamiya is an actress. She plays a character to everyone. She puts on a show to disguise what she is really like. She wants people to think she’s like Michael, but that is from years of studying him. Nothing she does flows naturally like Michael. It’s all an act. And just hearing her say that it suddenly made sense. Like I would be so amazed at how she could recite every single Disney show and film word for word, expression for expression but hearing Tinkerbell say that it all makes sense. To be honest one of the many annoying things about her was when she would sit me down to watch a film but talk all the way through. Urgh it was so annoying and my girlfriend soon realized this too. God forbid she knew a film word for word it was like our very dictator.

Rp1: What was ultimately the end for you and her?
Keisha: At the time I was on vacation and I was talking to my girlfriend and Shamiya came online. She was all telling me stuff about how she was taking things and the side affects were that she forgot things. Anyway I needed to tell her the truth without sugar coating it, so Tinkerbell and I decided to switch accounts; and so she posed as me and well like watching a programme I was on hers and we was cam to cam. From the moment I said I was back, Shamiya came back swearing for no reason, going off on one. Anyway we got into it, telling her about how she is being selfish, blah blah. It got heated at times. And then finally I said I don’t believe you about the money. That must have shocked her because of course anything she’s told me in the past I’ve took her word for. I also said show me proof that you have a million in the bank. I mean honestly it’s not hard there are ATM machines you can easily go to the bank right, and print a statement, or even with your phone take a picture. Or if that is too dangerous I am sure you can go to online banking scan and send. All I am saying is as your best friend of ten years surely you can show proof right?

Rp1: But she doesn’t have to if she doesn’t want too
Keisha: True. And that is very fine but I think that you can show your family and true close friends. I mean she says she won it on the lottery ticket, surely she can show some proof. I mean if that was me, but perhaps it’s just me. I would show my friend and family and of course divide it between them.

Rp1: So where do we go from here?
Keisha: We both go our separate ways. She says she is going to L.A. and live with her dad, and I am going to live my life and follow my dreams with other people.

The long interview eventually came to an end just minutes after ten. Keisha thanked the crew and off they went.

No comments: